This Saturday we host the Invicta Dynamos in NIHL action and are holding our every popular annual Teddy Bear Toss in conjunction with our friends at Naomi House.

At the end of the game, your Trane sponsored Basingstoke Bison are delighted to be able to offer their fans the chance to skate with the players too.

Fans can join in free of charge as long as you...
Basingstoke Bison - EPL Champions
1st of October 2017

Weekend review - Bison end the weekend with a shut out win

On Sunday the Sherfield School Basingstoke Bison headed north to take on the Sheffield Steeldogs in the Autumn Cup.

Sheffield Steeldogs 0 Basingstoke Bison 2

A scoreless first period passed by with Dmitri Zimozdra keeping his team in it stopping a hefty 20 shots. Deadlock broke however in the second period when Aaron Connolly was sitting out a penalty Vanya Antonov netted a shorthanded goal at 26.44.

With Bison on the powerplay and time ticking away Dan Scott ensured the positive result when he scored with 2.26 left in the game.

Sheffield: Net: Zimozdra (58.50) 47/2 & Empty Net (1.10) 0/0
Basingstoke: Antonov 1+1; Scott 1+0; Karpov 0+1. Net: Skinns (59.13) 26/0 & Empty Net (0.47) 0/0

Period Scores: 0-0/0-1/0-1
Shots On Goal: 26-47
Penalty Minutes: 12-16
Referee: Emerson. Linesmen: Bone & Wrench

24 hours previously the weekend started on home ice for the Sherfield School Basingstoke Bison as they welcomed near neighbours Bracknell Bees for a National Cup Game.

The home team were without Dan Davies but did add Sam Brooks to their line up. The officiating team were led by referee Matt Thompson with linesmen Justin Lalonde and Andrew Strain.

Basingstoke Bison 2 Bracknell Bees 5

A scrappy start saw both teams with chances but early nerves meant they werenít converted. Some good early play from Dean Skinns denied a Josh Martin chance on a Shaun Thompson feed. Twice Tomas Karpov sent out feeds to the front of the net but on both occasions they sailed through as nobody managed to get a stick on them. A defensive zone turnover offered Scott Spearing the puck but his top nearside corner shot ended in Skinnsí glove.

Bison were the first team to the powerplay when Harvey Stead was called for high sticks at 6.18. They came nearest to scoring when Aaron Connolly created himself space but having rounded the Bees defence he was defeated by Alex Mettam.

With Stead back the teams battled at even strength again. Chances had been pretty even up to the powerplay but then Bison enjoyed some good opportunities. A free for all in front of the Bees net ended well for them when no Bison player could get a stick on the puck through the crowd. Mettam denied an advancing Karpov on the next play and soon after Ryan Sutton was met with an outstretched pad from Mettam.

A Josh Tetlow shot was tipped on its way in and the play was whistled down when the Bees knocked the net off chasing in looking for the rebound.

With 2.02 left in the opening period Bees got their first chance on the powerplay as Kurt Reynolds took a tripping penalty but could make nothing of the advantage and a fairly even period ended 0-0.

The visitors got the better start to the second period coming out the blocks quickly. Skinns shouldered away an early Thompson shot before Frantisek Bakrlik beat the netminder only to see the defence deny him between Skinns and the goal line.

Having weathered the early Bees attack Elliot Dewey fed a chance out in front that Josh Smith tipped too high. Ashley Jackson then fed a chance to Ryan Sutton who was stopped by a Mettam save. Off the face off the puck was drawn back to Dan Scott who blasted through the traffic but Mettam got enough of it to deflect it wide of the target.

At 28.59 Bison broke the deadlock with a penalty pending on the Bees Reynolds fed Connolly who broke behind the defence, drew Mettam one way and slid the puck behind him into the empty target.

It wasnít long however before the game was even again when Steven Osman finished in a scramble getting the puck through Skinnsí legs. The goal was awarded instantly by the referee who was pretty much on the goal line but was disputed instantly by the Bison netminder. Despite protestation the goal stood and at 30.08 the game was locked at 1-1.

Jared Lane won an attacking zone face off and drew it back to Jan Bendik who fired home from the point at 31.16 to give the Bees the lead.

Play returned to even with chances falling at both ends but none converted. With 1.40 to play in the middle frame Dan Scott took a holding penalty. As the Bees powerplay got under way Matt Foord hauled down Vanya Antonov in open ice with the Bison player visually displaced there was no call. The middle period ended with the Bees ahead by a single goal.

The third period started with 20 seconds of penalty kill left for the Herd. As Scott returned Antonov collided awkwardly with the board and stayed down for a while but did return to his feet and leave the ice under his own motion. Even strength didnít last too long as Ashley Jackson sat out a hooking penalty at 41.53 but it was 4 on 4 briefly as Steve Osman was caught for high sticks at 43.00

Bison tried attacking on the short powerplay with Dan Scott troubling Mettam and the rebound sat tantalisingly but was hooked wide by Josh Smith. Just as the Bees returned to full strength play stopped after a Bison shot struck Mettam in the mask.

It wasnít long before Bees had added to their lead as Tom Avery freed up Shaun Thompson and with time and space he slotted low beating Dean Skinns for 1-3 at 46.03.

Bison were trapped on a line change with a too many men penalty at 48.22 and it took 3 seconds to convert the powerplay as Shaun Thompson won the face-off and drew it back to Frantisek Bakrlik whoís shot blasted through the defence and goaltender for 1-4 at 48.25

Bison fought back strong with a cross ice feed landing for Jackson in front but he couldnít get enough on it and that chance slipped away. Dan Lackey broke free towards the end of his shift but James Galazzi held him back.

A Bees shot was tipped in front and dribbled agonisingly close to the line but Stuart Mogg got there in time and hauled it away from the danger zone. A quick transition saw Jaroslav Cesky feed the puck back to Dan Scott who blasted but Mettam kicked away the chance.

With 2.11 to play Bison had a powerplay chance when Stead was called for hooking on Rounding. The powerplay didnít prove fruitful initially as it put the Bees further ahead when Bakrlik got in behind the defence and scored a highlight reel goal shorthanded. He advanced to the goal, drew the puck through his legs then fired high into the net for 2-5.

The Herd did have the opportunity of 39 seconds of 5 on 3 when James Gallazzi was called for elbows and with 28 seconds on the clock Ryan Sutton drew one back for the Bison on the two man advantage finishing from Ashley Jackson.

Basingstoke: Sutton 1+0, Connolly 1+0; Reynolds, Jackson 0+1. Net: Skinns (60.00) 31/5
Bracknell: Thompson 1+2; Bakrlik 2+0; Martin 0+2; Bendik, Osman 1+0; Avery, Lane 0+1. Net: Mettam (60.00) 33/2

Period Scores: 0-0/1-2/1-3
Shots On Goal: 33-31
Penalty Minutes: 8-10
Referee: M Thompson. Linesmen: A Strain & J Lalonde