This weekend sees the Trane sponsored Basingstoke Bison play our second home game of the season against the Milton Keynes Thunder followed by an away fixture in Bracknell.

Thunder arrive in Basingstoke having had a mixed season and currently lie in 7th place with 9 points from 25 games. So far this season the Bison have played the Thunder 3 times and have won two...
Basingstoke Bison - EPL Champions
15th of October 2017

Weekend review - successive four point weekends

Following a 5-2 home win the Sherfield School Basingstoke Bison made the short journey to Berkshire for their Sunday game where they took on the Bracknell Bees in a National Cup Game.

Bracknell Bees 4 Basingstoke Bison 5 (after penalty shots)

Ryan Sutton was the first to find the back of the net at 12.57 with an unassisted strike for the short benched Bison. Things were still going well when Dan Scott scored a powerplay goal from Roman Malinik at 16.43 but the Bees fought back before the period was out with strikes from Frankie Bakrlik (shorthanded) at 17.05 and Jared Lane at 17.49.

The majority of the second period was scoreless until the teams traded goals with Bakrlik netting a second at 34.28 ahead of Josh Smith scoring for the visitors with 30 seconds left in the period to pull it back level at 3-3.

A tense third period still couldn’t separate the teams. Shaun Thompson converted a powerplay for 4-3 with 6.15 to play but Josh Smith netted his second at 54.59 to lock the teams at 4-4.

With no further scoring the game headed to overtime where the bonus 5 minutes still didn’t produce a winner so the game went to penalty shots. Callum Best and Tomas Karpov both didn’t score their shots, Shaun Thompson did score and Josh Smith was saved. Dean Skinns came up huge to deny Frankie Bakrlik and keep the game alive before Roman Malinik scored to level the shootout and send it to sudden death.

Smith scored his second penalty shot as did Jan Bendik. Karpov and Thompson both didn’t trouble the scorers before Josh Smith netted again. When Jan Bendik was denied by Dean Skinns Bison took full points for their penalty shot win with the home team scooping the regulation tie point.

Bracknell: Bakrlik 2+0; Foord, Spearing 0+2; Thompson, Lane 1+0; Best, Bendik, Tetlow 0+1. Net: Mettam (65.00) 47/4
Basingstoke: Smith 2+0; Scott 1+0; Sutton 1+0; GWP 1+0; Reynolds, Antonov, Malinik 0+1. Net: Skinns (65.00) 26/4

Period Scores: 2-2/1-1/1-1/0-0/0-1
Shots On Goal: 26-47
Penalty Minutes: 18-12
Referee: M Thompson. Linesmen: J Lalonde & A Strain

After the weekend Bison Head Coach Doug Sheppard said; “Another four point weekend and we’re happier this weekend because Sunday’s result to secure the points took a lot of character. Saturday we got the job done, we got 4-0 ahead and kept our clean sheet in the league alive. Sunday though was a real character testing win. It’s our first win of the season where we’ve had to battle back from being behind and twice we did it. Josh Smith had a huge weekend. We’re playing short at the moment and I’m looking for guys to step up. Josh netted four times in the game, twice in regulation time and twice under pressure in the shoot-out.

He concluded; “That’s back to back four point weekends. I’m proud of how we’ve responded to an indifferent start to the season. When it matters, and shortbenched, the guys have stepped up, dug their heels in and are getting the job done.

Read the home match review below.

The Sherfield School Basingstoke Bison played host to the Streatham Redhawks in a league game for the first time in the season. The home team were shortbenched for Tomas Karpov's 200th league appearance with Grant Rounding, Dan Davies and Stuart Mogg missing but Roman Malinik made his debut while it was a return to the Basingstoke Arena for Ryan Watt in his first visit as a Redhawk.

Basingstoke Bison 5 Streatham Redhawks 2

Belfitt with Strain and Sytch-Cunningham took charge of the game and just after 6.30pm the first puck dropped with starting netminding duties going to Dean Skinns and Matt Colclough.

Bison got a few good early chances with Vanya Antonov feeding a puck across the crease only for nobody to connect and shortly after setting the puck off for Tomas Karpov but Colclough made the save.

Aidan Doughty coughed up the game’s first powerplay when he took an interference call at 3.06. Bison got some good pressure and chances but the perfect finish evaded them and Doughty returned. Soon after his return a careless turnover allowed Ryan Webb a solo chance but he fired wide of the target.

Bison sprung two 2 on 1s in quick succession as first Karpov and Antonov then Antonov and Baird went. The first ended wide and the second the Antonov feed was behind and out of the reach of Joe Baird.

Alex Sampford drew a glove save from Dean Skinns and some minor afters broke out as Ben Paynter got too close to Skinns for Kurt Reynolds liking who was quick to clear him away.

The opener wasn’t far from coming as at 9.26 the Bison broke deadlock. Tomas Karpov broke from from the boards and found Vanya Antonov in the slot who released quickly for 1-0.

Bison were back on the powerplay thanks to a Brendon Baird cross checking penalty at 9.44 and with 5 seconds left in their man advantage, having dominated the powerplay, Ashley Jackson finished tipping the puck home from Reynolds and Antonov for 2-0.

Aaron Connolly was sent on a run by Tomas Karpov and after outmuscling the Streatham defence a blocker save from Colclough ended the run. Chances then came at both ends before 16.04 when Bison made it 3-0. Vanya Antonov sent the puck back to the blue line, Joe Baird shot and Tomas Karpov tipped home for the third Bison goal of the night.

Ryan Watt met Dan Scott who lost his stick in stopping the Redhawks #49 shooting and ended up clearing with his hand. Redhawks got their first powerplay at 17.49 when Joe Baird stopped Aidan Doughty at the blue line and got called for interference for his trouble.

Redhawks looked to be making progress with the man advantage when they worked the puck back to Michael Farn to shoot but the momentum they generated was halted when Roman Malinik took the puck, skated in almost effortlessly and shot through the 5 hole to complete a shorthanded goal at 18.59

It was 4 on 4 at 19.20 when Adam Wood took a hooking penalty as he held back Tomas Karpov. Bison ended the first period, which they’d dominated, 4-0 ahead and with 1.20 to play on the powerplay on the 2nd period.

Alex Sampford got the first chance of the second period shorthanded before Wood returned. Joe Baird sent the puck in looking for a tip in but despite a stick in front getting the tip in Matt Colclough made the save. Roman Malinik won the ensuing face off back to Aaron Connolly who stepped and shot but just a bit high.

Jamie Hayes put Bison back on the powerplay when he tripped Roman Malinik at 23.05. Vanya Antonov rung the iron work before Redhawks cleared. Tomas Karpov made an end to end solo run but his wrap around just didn’t quite have enough on it. Eventually the visiting team got some relief when the whistle blew after an Antonov shot struck the goaltender in the mask.

Bison gifted Redhawks an opportunity as they looked to transition out their own zone. An open ice outlet pass ended up intercepted by Michael Farn who fed Ben Paynter who beat Dean Skinns for a shorthanded goal and 4-1 at 24.47.

Interaction behind the play between Brendon Baird and Tomas Karpov went unpunished but at 26.39 a slash from Roman Malinik on Joe Allen as he past the Bison man saw the referee hold his arms aloft signalling a penalty shot. Allen approached calmy from the right before scoring 5 hole for 4-2.

Tomas Karpov fed Hallam Wilson who couldn’t get the puck over the line and moments later Ashley Jackson fed Tomas Karpov but the Czech man couldn’t double his personal tally in his 200th league game. A tripping penalty on Jordan Gregory came as he took down Ashley Jackson at 32.15.

Bison converted the powerplay after 1.45, the perfect finish to a near perfect powerplay. After taking time to set up their play Joe Baird slotted across to Aaron Connolly in the slot and he fired the puck home for 5-2 at 34.00.

Following a spell of good pressure, mainly by Michael Farn the visitors put themselves on the backfoot when Christopher Cook got a holding minor and Brandon Miles’ objections earned him a 10 minute misconduct at 35.35.

Back at full strength a battle occurred in the corner at the Redskin’s net end which saw Josh Smith catch Michael Farn with an elbow and Ryan Watt came streaming in. The penalties ended up coincidental so the game carried on 5 on 5 up to the buzzer ending a more even period than the first that Streatham had won 1-2.

The third period started open. Roman Malinik fed Aaron Connolly before Alex Samford shot through traffic but Dean Skinns saw his shot all the way. At the other end Roman Malinik made his own space but couldn’t beat Colclough.

End to end continued after Adam Carr seized on an Antonov turn over and was denied by Skinns Tomas Karpov went on a solo run but just still couldn’t bag his second. Bison then broke away quickly from a scramble in front of their own net but Ashley Jackson was denied by Colclough. The Redhawks netminder then stopped Karpov after Antonov centred for him and also made the save on Sam Brooks follow up effort.

Brandon Baird sat out at 49.14, called for holding. Things got doubly worse for the Redhawks when Jordan Gregory got a match penalty for slew footing at 51.21. The visitors did kill off the penalties but understandably found themselves on the back foot for the majority of the last 9 minutes of the game. They did string together a couple of chances just ahead of the final buzzer but by then Bison had done enough to run out 5-2 winners.

Basingstoke: Antonov 1+2; Karpov 1+1; Baird 0+2; Malinik, Jackson, Connolly 1+0; Reynolds 0+1. Net: Skinns (60.00) 20/2
Streatham: Allen, Paynter 1+0; Farn 0+1. Net: Colclough (60.00) 47/5

Period Scores: 4-0/1-2/0-0
Shots On Goal: 47-20
Penalty Minutes: 8-55
Referee: Belfit. Linesmen: Strain & Sytch-Cunningham