This weekend sees the Trane sponsored Basingstoke Bison play our second home game of the season against the Milton Keynes Thunder followed by an away fixture in Bracknell.

Thunder arrive in Basingstoke having had a mixed season and currently lie in 7th place with 9 points from 25 games. So far this season the Bison have played the Thunder 3 times and have won two...
Basingstoke Bison - EPL Champions
12th of November 2017

Split weekend but the league winning run remains alive

On Sunday the Sherfied School Basingstoke Bison headed up the M1 to the Planet Ice Arena Milton Keynes to take on the Thunder for the second time in the season and the first trip to MK to face their new Buckinghamshire rivals.

Milton Keynes Thunder 0 Basingstoke Bison 6

Almost the first half of the game went by without a goal but at 28.29 Tomas Karpov saw to it that the deadlock was broken with an even strength goal. With 2.32 left to play in the middle period Roman Malinik scored shorthanded while Elliot Dewey sat out a tripping penalty.

Bison came out and hussled all through the third period and got their rewards. Hope of a home team come back were dashed at 50.34 with Karpov netting his second of the night, this one on the powerplay. Just over three minutes later Dan Scott’s second strike of the weekend made it 0-4. Malinik scored his second at 57.31 then while Karpov sat out Vanya Antonov completed the scoring at 6 with 23 seconds left on the clock.

Milton Keynes: Net: Annets (60.00) 49/6
Basingstoke: Antonov 1+2; Karpov, Malinik 2+0; Scott 1+1; Connolly, Davies, Dewey 0+1. Net: Skinns (60.00) 14/0

Period Scores: 0-0/0-2/0-4
Shots On Goal: 14-49
Penalty Minutes: 46-8
Referee: Belfitt. Linesmen: Earl & O’Neill

After the weekend’s two games Doug Sheppard gave his thoughts; “It was good to bounce back tonight after a disappointing loss last night at home. The most disappointing thing about Saturday for me was our start at home. It was a big game against quality opposition and we came out a bit flat and that turned out to be the deciding period of the game. I thought we played a great second period, we did tire a bit in the third but I think we were the better team for two periods but our flat start cost us the game. We did create chances for our self but we need to work harder. I didn’t feel we executed our powerplay the way we should and that could have again been a big difference with the special team chances we got in the third period.

Going on to speak of Sunday he added; “I thought we responded very well tonight with a good road win. It would have been easy to come out dejected after last night’s result but we played a full 60 minutes, did a lot of things well in all departments and we got rewarded towards the end with a few more goals too.

In summary he concluded; “We knew we had to move on from Saturday and we came out with a good win on Sunday to keep our unbeaten run in the league alive. Next weekend is a new weekend, we have to work on what went wrong on Saturday and carry on the positives from Sunday to give us a good chance of doing well next weekend.

Read the home review below.

Saturday night was once again hockey night in Hampshire as the Sherfield School Basingstoke Bison lined up against the visiting Swindon Wildcats.

The Bison were once again short benched as a full strength Wildcats rocked up. Stephen Matthews was the man in charge with Justin Lalonde and Flynn Sitch-Cunningham on the lines.

Basingstoke Bison 1 Swindon Wildcats 3

The game was off at fast pace and Dean Skinns was called into action early as Chris Jones forced his way up the ice and tested the Bison shot stopper. Dan Scott was the first to test Renny Marr in the Wildcats net and he came up big denying the defender’s booming shot.

A promising run by Aaron Connolly ended with him in a heap as his blade gave out under him and he was helped from the ice coasting on the remaining blade. Bison forced some sharp stops from Marr before Elliot Dewey got a stick in the passing lane to break up a good attacking rush from the Wildcats.

Basingstoke got the game’s first powerplay when Sam Bullas slashed Grant Rounding at 9.10. Bison were attacking and just in front of the crease was Vanya Antonov who ended up called for a high sticks minor on Renny Marr levelling the game at 4 on 4 at 9.48.

Just under a minute later Bison were back on the powerplay as Maxim Birbraer sat out for hooking at 10.30 meaning 4 on 3 in favour of the Herd. A good short poweplay saw nothing put on the scoreboard before 4 on 4 which wouldn’t last long as Roman Malinik took a high sticks call at 11.17 resulting in a 4 on 3 advantage for the Wildcats.

The game’s opening goal came swiftly off an offensive zone face off for the Wildcats. Aaron Nell won the face off back to Chris Jones who found Sam Zajac and his high shot was over Dean Skinns on the stick side bulging the twine at 11.28.

As penalties began to expire Swindon went back on the powerplay as just Roman Malinik remained in the box. It would be on this powerplay that they’d double their advantage 1.18 after their opener. While the first Wildcats goal came from a clinical play their second came on a much scrappier play when a speculative pass found Jordan Kellsall who released quickly and in.

Vanya Antonov blocked a shot from Sam Godfrey and quickly transitioned but a pad save from Renny Marr ended that chance. Dan Scott blasted a shot in on net which hung around in the crease in front of Renny Marr but just out of the reach of the hopeful Tomas Karpov looking to snuffle home the rebound.

After some end to end play Wildcats secured their third of the period with28 seconds left to play. Once again a good passing game fed the puck to Maxim Birbraer who slid through the front of the net lifting the puck in high at the last moment for 0-3.

Bison had set themselves a difficult task coming back from a 3 goal first period deficit but worked hard on it through the final two periods. They would come up against Renny Marr in top form though!

Vanya Antonov drove to the net early in the second period accompanied by Dan Davies but the former’s shot was saved and rebound was tantalisingly out of reach for the latter. Roman Malinik followed this up moments later with a wrist shot but a glove save by Marr dealt with that. Promise of a come back kept up with Antonov to Davies to Karpov but his shot was also saved.

Sam Bullas forced Dean Skinns into a save but as play returned to the other end Chris Jones shoved Tomas Karpov off the play but this didn’t stop his line mates advancing as Davies and Antonov combined but again met Marr. A string of Bison chances were all ended by saves from Renny Marr. While the majority of the saves were good one looked to be a huge slice of luck as while the netminder searched for the puck after a Tomas Karpov shot the whistle blew confirming his save.

With 48 seconds left in the middle period Jordan Kelsall collected a slashing penalty meaning the Herd would end the period on the powerplay but by the time the end of period buzzer sounded there had been no scoring and the score remaining 0-3.

The third period started with 1.22 left on the powerplay for the Herd. Wildcats returned to full strength with no scoring on the man advantage. Even strength didn’t last long as Joe Baird was called for slashing at 42.25. Wildcats centred the powerplay around Arron Nell who twice was denied by pad saves and the third shot ended with a blinding glove save from Dean Skinns. Roman Malinik broke shorthanded but again found the Wildcats netminder in top form.

Even strength again didn’t last long as Sam Zajac’s attempt at stopping a Bison break ended with him sitting for hooking at 45.09. As Bison looked to work the powerplay Steve Whitfield took out an advancing Tomas Karpov earning himself a tripping minor at 46.21 and giving the Bison a 5 on 3 advantage for 49 seconds.

Dan Scott almost breached Marr’s defence but Bison were closest to scoring when Tomas Karpov did beat Marr but the Wildcats were saved by the ironwork. Both Wildcats penalties expired with their net still unbreached.

With 6.07 to play and a board battle in the Wildcats defensive zone there was a nasty hit laid which saw Floyd Taylor leave the game with a 5+game for boarding. It was on this powerplay that Bison broke the deadlock as they cycled the puck round to Dan Scott with it finding his hitting zone as he unleashed a blast from the hash marks for 1-3 at 54.16. As the Bison celebrated their goal the Wildcats bench called their timeout.

With the goal coming on a major penalty that 5 minute powerplay continued and the Herd were on a 5 on 3 when Steve Whitfield was called for slashing. As Jan Kostal blocked a shot and play stopped Doug Sheppard called the Bison time-out .

Dean Skinns left the Bison net at 57.51 having faced just 3 shots in period but despite the extra attacker the Wildcats weathered the sustained pressure and held on for a 1-3 win.

Basingstoke: Scott 1+0; Davies 0+1; Connolly 0+1. Net: Skinns (57.51) 18/3
Swindon: Nell 0+3; Jones 1+1; Kelsall 1+0; Birbraer 1+0; Zajac 0+1, Taylor 0+1. Net: Marr (60.00) 35/1

Period Scores: 0-3/0-0/1-0
Shots On Goal: 35-18
Penalty Minutes: 6-37
Referee: S Matthews. Linesmen: J Lalonde & F Sytch-Cunningham