This Saturday we host the Invicta Dynamos in NIHL action and are holding our every popular annual Teddy Bear Toss in conjunction with our friends at Naomi House.

At the end of the game, your Trane sponsored Basingstoke Bison are delighted to be able to offer their fans the chance to skate with the players too.

Fans can join in free of charge as long as you...
Basingstoke Bison - EPL Champions
20th of February 2018

Weekend Review - Two more wins for the Herd

The Sherfield School Basingstoke Bison started the weekend on home ice with an M3 derby against local rivals Bracknell Bees. Ahead of the game a packed Basingstoke Arena commemorated the loss of former Bison defenceman Ryan O’Keefe with a minute’s applause.

Basingstoke Bison 5 Bracknell Bees 2

Dan Boardman took charge of the game with Andrew Strain and Flynn Sytch-Cunningham on the lines. Frankie Bakrlik took the game’s first shot with a speculative cannon from his own zone as the teams worked hard testing each other out.

Bracknell got the better of the opening exchanges with Joshua Martin scoring the opening goal at 3.18. It was a Carl Thompson shot that saw Martin in front tip it high into the goal.

Paul Petts was advancing moments after and drew a save from Bracknell’s Alex Mettam. Then Tomas Karpov was taken down on his way down the ice with Shaun Thompson picking up the puck but a quick transition was denied by Dean Skinn’s extended pad.

Bracknell continued to trouble the Herd with pressure around the zone despite some good Bison play then Basingstoke got back on track and Roman Malinik tested out the visitors’ shot stopper. As the midway mark of the period came Kurt Reynolds dug a puck out from a board battle and fed Grant Rounding who advanced solo ringing a shot off the cross bar that flew up and out of play.

Despite some good Bison play it would be Bracknell who scored again as a high press from the Bison left Frankie Bakrlik alone behind the defence. When the Bees broke the Bison play they fed Bakrlik who advanced with speed to the net. At first it looked like he’d gone too close but at the last minute he deeked and slid the puck into a tight angle between post and goaltender.

With the Bees two ahead it was like the Bison found an extra gear. It was 2.01 after the Bees second that Ryan Sutton halved the lead as he took a feed from Grant Rounding, stepped in and blasted home from the high slot.

With 1.56 left in the first period the Bees earned the first penalty in what had been, to date, a fairly lenient period but a blatant roughing call couldn’t be ignored and the Bison would finish the period on the powerplay but with nothing doing on the man advantage the final four seconds carried over to the second period.

Matt Foord returned four seconds into the period and some early visiting pressure saw Tom Avery shoot but the arena rung out with the sound of puck hitting pad and the Bison shotstopper covered. Tomas Karpov levelled the chances when he sped away with Vanya Antonov and fed him but Alex Mettam followed the pass and covered the angle closing the door on Antonov.

As Ryan Sutton looked to double his and his team’s tally for the night Harvey Stead was called for slashing and as Alex Mettam made the save the whistle blew to start the second Bison powerplay. Grant Rounding out skated the Bees defence but was denied by their goaltender and a late powerplay shot from Tomas Karpov deflected out of play as it took Alex Mettam on the shoulder and headed high into the roof.

Chances kept coming in the second period, which neither team were quite dominating. James Galazzi provided a relatively easy save for Dean Skinns then Grant Rounding’s shot at the other end was followed by the net coming lose and a whistle to stop play. Roman Malinik fired but Mettam saved but Bison controlled the rebound eventually beating Mettam but a Bees player got the puck and iced it quickly to waiver the danger.

The second period had seen a lot of pace and energy but no goals so the teams headed to the dressing rooms with Bees still ahead thanks to their first period tally.

Bison started the third period in another extra gear and with 28 seconds played Ryan Sutton did double his tally, levelling the score. Roman Malinik drove through the middle and shot but Sutton was on hand, close in, to shove home the rebound.

With the large support still enjoying the second goal celebrations Bison notched their third when Tomas Karpov skated in and fired and despite Mettam getting a sizable piece of the shot the Bison man still got to celebrate as the puck came to rest inside the net giving the Stampede the lead at 40.57

Goals kept coming as Bison bagged their fourth at 42.15, as Roman Malinik and Ryan Sutton enjoyed a two on one they toyed with the Bees and passed back and forth a couple of times before Malinik’s shot beat Alex Mettam on the stick side. Immediately Bees called their time-out.

Aaron Connolly and Roman Malinik both tried in quick succession then Bison were given a powerplay thanks to Joshua Martin blatantly holding the stick of Vanya Antonov at 45.44

Roman Malinik fed across to Stuart Mogg who set Ryan Sutton off but he fired just wide. Things got worse for the Bees when Scott Spearing took a tripping penalty at 47.18 meaning 27 seconds of 5 on 3 and it appeared the visitors had changed their tactic totally from the one that worked early and got them a 2 goal lead.

Vanya Antonov was in close after the expiry of the Martin penalty but a good low save from Alex Mettam ended his hopes. Alex Mettam fell foul of a roughing call at 49.41 and Dan Davies was also close to the net when his chance was saved and swiftly Mettam dived to cover the puck. With the whistle blown Dan Davies took a late whack from Joshua Martin but nothing was called. Bison pressured hard all through the powerplay but to no avail.

Cross words were being exchanged regularly as Davies and Martin had during the incident at the net so did Joe Baird with Frankie Bakrlik when the Bison defenceman took an elbow to the face. Danny Ingoldbsy threw the gloves down as Grant Rouding stepped in to have words following a bad hit on Joe Baird. James Gallazi came from the bench to run Baird and many players got into “discussions” with their opposite numbers before the penalties were finalised. Danny Ingoldsby and Joe Baird both took ten minute misconduct penalties while James Gallazi gave the Bison a powerplay with an unmatched roughing minor at 54.16.

Ryan Sutton came close to a hat trick at the end of the powerplay but with the Bees back to full strength Tomas Karpov rounded the net before slotting back to Aaron Connolly who’s off balance shot just missed the target.

Alex Barker was fed by Shaun Thompson but Dean Skinns made a sliding save as the game entered its final two minutes. With no time out left to call Alex Mettam left the ice mid shift and Bison sent the puck heading towards the empty net but Harvey Stead raced back and hauled the puck away just shy of the goal line. Seconds later Grant Rounding advanced to the open net shepherding the puck all the way before a gentle tap in posted the Bison fifth with 1.02 to play.

The remainder of the game saw Alex Mettam back in the net but Bison had done enough after a slow start to roar back with a 4 goal unanswered final period to take the win.

Basingstoke: Sutton 2+1; Rounding 1+2; Malinik 1+1; Antonov 0+2; Karpov 1+0; Reynolds 0+1. Net: Skinns (60.00) 18/2
Bracknell: Bakrlik 1+1; Martin 1+0; C Thompson & S Thompson 0+1. Net: Mettam (59.25) 40/4 & Empty Net (0.35) 2/1

Period Scores: 1-2/0-0/4-0
Shots On Goal: 42-18
Penalty Minutes: 12-32
Referee: D Boardman. Linesmen: A Strain & F Sytch-Cunningham

On Sunday the Sherfield School Basingstoke Bison made their first journey to the new Romford Ice Rink to take on the London Raiders.

London Raiders 1 Basingstoke Bison 2

The first two periods were tense and close but also scoreless and the teams battled each other hard.

At 1.09 into the final period London broke the deadlock when Brandon Ayliff netted an unassisted goal. With 4.20 to play Aaron Connolly levelled the score from Dan Davies and Roman Malinik and at 58.58 Ryan Sutton broke the hearts of the home support when he bagged the game winning goal assisted by his captain and Kurt Reynolds.

London: Ayliffe 1+0. Net: Gray (60.00)
Basingstoke: Connolly 1+1; Sutton 1+0; Reynolds, Malinik, Davies 0+1. Net: Skinns (60.00) 28/1

Period Scores: 0-0/0-0/1-2
Shots On Goal: 28-46
Penalty Minutes: 14-4
Referee: S Matthews. Linesmen: Olczak & O’Neill

Herd Head Coach Doug Sheppard reflected on his team’s weekend successes; “I’m really pleased with two great wins. Saturday we battled back from a poor start and I was impressed with our final period in that we were clinical and scored four well take unanswered goals. Sunday was close and tense but again we stuck to our game and found a way to win a tough game.

He continued; “We were a poorly team with a number of players suffering flu but we came through and showed great character. We didn’t get drawn into the niggly stuff on Saturday and that showed in our final period and on Sunday we concentrated and did the small things right. Ryan Sutton came up big for us with some clutch goals too which was pleasing to see.